October 14

Website Worth Sharing: Newsela

newselaSometimes it is hard to find leveled non-fiction text to support Common Core ELA standards. Newsela might be just what you’re looking for: http://www.newsela.com/

This site has lexile leveled non-fiction news articles on a variety of subjects- see the categories in the screenshot below. In order to get full access, you need to register and create a class. They will provide a class code that your students can use to join your class. They create their own username/password and then read an article of their own choice or one that you assigned to the class. Each article has 5 levels of text that they can choose (lexile scored). What a nice way to differentiate.  Some of the articles have quizzes that can be taken. Many of the more current articles do not, but may in the future. The quiz questions are aligned to the Common core standards. You can login as a teacher and see who took the quiz and how they did (click on “Binder” at the top of the page). You can also see who logged in and viewed the assigned article.

If you want to try it out from a student viewpoint, you can go to the website, join my class by clicking on “sign in” in the upper left and using my code “twotw”. Read an article of your choice or the one I assigned and then take the quiz if one is available (not all articles have quizzes-there is an anchor icon on the ones that do). The quizzes remind me of something that would be on the Smarter Balance test. This is a free website and looks pretty slick to me!

Tags: , , , , ,

Posted October 14, 2013 by brendasargent in category Website Worth Sharing

About the Author

This blog is written and maintained by Brenda Sargent, instructional technology specialist for Kelso School District.

2 thoughts on “Website Worth Sharing: Newsela

1. Bob Gustin

Love the Newsela site for Language Arts, esp. the ability to change lexile reading levels within the articles.

2. KoKo Musgrove

I love this site! I really like how you can modify the reading level for kids and high interest articles!