June 6

History Pin and GeoGuesser

Social Studies Teachers,

If you want to show your students historical photos that are specific to a certain place or region, you might want to visit www.historypin.com

This is a map site that allows people to “pin” historical photos to certain regions. You can search by place but narrow your search to a time period or subject. It’s a nice way to bring primary source photos into your history discussions.

Washington state teachers can focus on the images that have been pinned to different regions of our state archives:

GeoGuesser is another map based site that shows random images from around the world and encourages the user to guess on a map where the picture was taken. You get a score based on how close you are. Don’t feel like you are limited to one view. The pictures are 360 degrees so you can scroll around to see varying views. This would be a nice way to fill up the odd 5 minutes that are sometimes left at the end of a period. It really rewards those kids who have keen observation skills: http://geoguessr.com/

Tags: ,

Posted June 6, 2013 by brendasargent in category Website Worth Sharing

About the Author

This blog is written and maintained by Brenda Sargent, instructional technology specialist for Kelso School District.

2 thoughts on “History Pin and GeoGuesser

1. Josiah Coughran

Excited to use this in class. I think the kids will find it interesting and perhaps even give them a small desire to see the world.

2. Josiah Coughran

I would also like the add that historypin is going to be very useful as I travel abroad with my students. I can’t wait to have them take pictures of historical sites and post them to this site. Very exciting!